It's been almost two months since then-UFC champ Jon Jones surrendered to New Mexico authorities to face felony hit and run charges but the District Attorney is still getting its case together. MMA Fighting spoke with the Bernalillo County, New Mexico DA's office and got the scoop.
"We have requested the outstanding evidence and our office anticipates moving forward when we have a completed case," spokesperson Kayla Anderson said.
The D.A.'s office awaits computer-aided dispatch reports from the Albuquerque Police Department and for medical reports on the victim's injuries before taking the case to the grand jury and seeking an indictment of Jones. It has to compile all its evidence and make it available to Jones' defense team before moving ahead.
"Proceeding with the case without discovery could lead to the dismissal of the case altogether," Anderson said.
Jones was stripped of his UFC Light Heavyweight title after being accused of fleeing the scene of an accident in which his rental SUV allegedly hit a vehicle driven by a pregnant woman. He faces felony charges.
The state has a sixty day window to bring the case before a grand jury which expires Monday but but "Anderson said the state is not technically required to file any new documents with the court yet, especially since Jones is out of custody" per MMA Fighting.