clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Daniel Cormier slams Ryan Bader for 'trying to cut to the front of the line' for title shot

New, comments

Before Daniel Cormier was announced as Jon Jones' replacement for Anthony Johnson at UFC 187, another light-heavyweight contender, Ryan Bader, was rallying for a shot at the title.

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Before Jon Jones was stripped of his light-heavyweight title due to an alleged hit-and-run last month, Daniel Cormier was originally set to tangle with Ryan Bader at UFC Fight Night 68. Shortly after the UFC's decision to suspend Jones indefinitely they announced that the former Olympian would be stepping in as Bones' replacement against Anthony Johnson. As soon as word got out of Jon's run-in with the law, championship aspirant Ryan Bader began campaigning for a title shot with 'Rumble' on social media. Daniel Cormier wasn't too thrilled about it, as he explained to the media on Monday:

"I was waiting, because this thing with Jon happened on a Sunday. Two days is a long time to wait. And initially I was like okay, we'll see what happens. Ryan Bader started putting stuff on the internet, and it was like, what the hell's wrong with you? You're trying to cut to the front of the line. It's not like he beat anybody. I tried calling them, and I said, hey, why not give me the chance? If anyone deserves the shot, it's me," Cormier said.

DC's push for the main-event slot paid off, as the former Strikeforce heavyweight Grand Prix champion will get his second shot at UFC gold this Saturday evening at UFC 187. The 36-year-old originally battled with Jon Jones at UFC 182 for the LHW crown, but ultimately fell short as Bones claimed a unanimous decision win. Perhaps Cormier will achieve his career-long dream of conquering a UFC title on Saturday night.