Once again Alexei Auld is back to grill Eugene S. Robinson, author of Fight: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Ass-Kicking but Were Afraid You'd Get Your Ass Kicked for Asking and myself with some PR stumpers from the world of combat sports.
Today's puzzlers include:
- You're Vitor Belfort. Last month reports surfaced alleging that you failed a urine test for elevated T levels before the UFC 152 title bout with Jon Jones. Last week you skipped out on an MMA Hour interview with Ariel Helwani. Over the weekend you and your wife/manager Joana Prado took to the press to insist that 1) everything was above board before UFC 152 and 2) Ariel Helwani was invited to come to a press conference so Vitor didn't duck him. Is this good PR? What can you do from here?
- You're Ronda Rousey's coach Edmond Tarverdyan. Reports have surfaced that you filed for bankruptcy and reported over $700,000 in debt to multiple companies, can't recall the last time you filed an income tax return, you're claiming zero income and no ownership in the gym where Rousey trains. How do you handle the PR aspect?
- You're Paige VanZant. The UFC is not only putting you up against the last strawweight "It girl", they shrank your image on the poster. How do you handle your demotion?
- You're Daniel Cormier. Your PPV numbers come in and your fight with Alexander Gustafsson bombed. You need hype for your next fight. So you troll Jon Jones for a scuffle at his gym opening and post a photo of yourself there and claim nobody let you in. Jones calls bullshit. How do you stay relevant?
- TEACHABLE MOMENT: You're pro boxer Yusaf Mack, 35 year olds and father of 10. You took part in a gay porn video and when word got out you claimed you were invited to do a straight porn shoot before being drugged and raped and waking up with $4500 in your pocket in the subway. You're lying of course and the porno company threatens to sue you for libel. What do you do?
- EUGENE'S LOST BATTALION: Miesha Tate? Harry Hamlin?
- Plus a CURVE BALL
All about Alexei Auld: He's on Twitter: @alexeiauld He's got a web site: alexeiauld.com. He's written books: Tonto Canto Pocahontas and Billionaire Secrets of a Wanglorious Bastard.
As always if you enjoy this sort of gum flapping, subscribe to the MMA Nation YouTube channel. Subscribers are the only ones who can watch us shoot these things live.
Check out the audio-only version on SoundCloud, and don't forget to subscribe to MMA Nation on iTunes.
Let us know what you think of the show!