Normally when we hear news of UFC roster cuts, they come at the beginning of each month. In fact, we already had news of 4 gone from the roster two weeks ago. Just today alone, four fighters confirmed their UFC tenures had come to an end. In addition to the previously reported news that TUF 19's Eddie Gordon was cut after 3 straight losses, a trio of other men took to social media to tell everyone they'd been released. Gone are lightweight Christos Giagos, light heavyweight Matt Van Buren, and middleweight Roger Narvaez.
(1/2) I was scheduled to fight in UFC in August. I had an injury that forced me to pull out. I was offered a fight Jan. 2 against my team— Matt Van Buren (@GutterMMA) October 16, 2015
(2/2) mate. Coach asked me to turn it down, so I did. Just got released from UFC after @danawhite said they wanted me back. I don't get it— Matt Van Buren (@GutterMMA) October 16, 2015
Giagos and Narvaez both held 1-2 UFC records, winning their 2nd bout while losing their debuts and 3rd bouts. Van Buren was a TUF 19 light heavyweight finalist but was knocked out by Corey Anderson in the final. Another stoppage loss vs. Sean O'Connell dropped him to 0-2.
If you can't see the Giagos picture, which he posted on Instagram, he writes that the UFC called him today and told him that he was cut, and that "they are overbooked and had to make some cuts." This plays right into an unconfirmed report from Swedish MMA site MMAnytt.se, whose sources say that the UFC is planning a massive roster cut of 50 fighters over the weekend. Here's the Swedish-to-English Google translation:
According to sources MMAnytt close to the UFC, the organization will do away with 50 fighters over the weekend. The organization currently has around 560 fighters under contract. Which fighters who lose their contracts is currently unclear, but they are expected to get their statements on Monday and Tuesday next week.
This would be the biggest wave of fighter cuts in the promotion's history, and certainly something to keep many pairs of eyes on. Bloody Elbow will continue to monitor any additional roster changes, and if the report is true, there will be plenty made in the coming days.
UPDATE at 9:29 PM ET: Bantamweight Marcus Brimage has tweeted confirmation of his release. Ditto for welterweight Chris Clements.
Got my pink slip today, I was a pleasure working for @UFC, don't worry I'll be back!!!— Marcus Brimage (@Brim205) October 17, 2015
Apparently I just got released from @ufc. It was my goal to compete there and I did it!— Chris Clements (@menaceclements) October 17, 2015