After it was initially reported by BleacherReport.com's Jeremy Botter that UFC welterweight Kelvin Gastelum had once again encountered a rough weight cut and was apparently hospitalized, other sources are now reporting that Gastelum was dealing with "flu-like symptoms" throughout fight week.
MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani took to twitter shortly before the weigh-ins to confirm that Gastelum was indeed hospitalized after he started throwing up on Friday morning. He was five pounds overweight at the time.
I'm told Gastelum had flu like symptoms all week. I was told he was 5 lbs over this AM, started throwing up, rushed to hospital to hydrate.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) January 31, 2015
Gastelum eventually weighed in at 180-pounds for his co-main event match-up against Tyron Woodley. Nevertheless, the UFC confirmed that the fight is still on for Saturday night.
The rising talent previously missed weight on the first attempt for match-ups Rick Story and Nico Musoke. He was fined 30% of his purse for the weight discrepancy on Friday.