Thiago Silva is back in the UFC. That bit of shocking news comes a day after news that charges were dropped stemming from a standoff with police and an incident where Silva allegedly threatened his estranged wife and others with a gun. Silva's wife apparently left the country and was "uncooperative," leading to the decision to dismiss the charges
The original police report detailed text messages from Silva to his wife such as, "I am gonna fuck you up and you are going to die. I am going to hire someone to kill you and I am gonna move my girlfriend in."
At the time, Silva was released from the UFC and Dana White said, "This guy will never fight in the UFC again."
First came this post by The Blackzilians today (featuring a photo that is probably in poor taste given the situation):
and then John Morgan of MMA Junkie confirmed the news, tweeting, "Dana White just confirmed to me that Thiago Silva is indeed back with the UFC."
Reaction to the news on Twitter has been mixed (to put it kindly). I'm sure White will discuss the situation more at the post-fight press conference.
It's worth noting that, in addition to a police standoff and the alleged incidents of violence against his wife, Silva's last 5 fights have gone:
- January 1, 2011 - Decision win over Brandon Vera overturned after Silva attempted to cheat a drug test with synthetic urine. He was suspended a year as a result.
- April 14, 2012 - Silva lost by decision to Alexander Gustafsson
- November 10, 2012 - Submission of the Night win over Stanislav Nedkov overturned after failing a drug test (for marijuana). He was suspended six months as a result.
- June 8, 2013 - Knockout of the night win over Rafael Cavalcante.
- October 9, 2013 - Decision win over Matt Hamill, however, Silva missed the 205 weight limit (and 206 pound allowance), forcing the fight to be a 208 pound catchweight.
So only one fight in the last five was a win that was upheld and was not in a fight where he failed to make weight.