Thaysa Kamiji, the ex-wife of UFC fighter Thiago Silva, spoke to the Brazilian web site UOL about Silva's descent into violence that ended with him being arrested following a stand off with Florida police. Here's what she had to say (translation via MMA Fighting):
"You know what I don't understand? We had a healthy relationship, we always talked, each one respected the other's space," Kamiji said. "He became (violent) over the past three weeks. I think that's the consequence of the use of cocaine.
"My marriage was over in December of 2012. In our relationship, I had to deal with the imbalance and aggression. But I never went to talk to the police because I fear the reactions. Even after I was assaulted, I did not speak.
"That's what ended the marriage," she said. "The problem was cocaine. He always thinks he's above the law. My neighbor knew that she should call the police if she ever heard me scream. He had the cocaine paranoia. He came to my house, tore my clothes and pointed a gun at my head. I already suffered some abuse, but I always withdrew because I was afraid."
Silva is being held without bond on multiple felony assault charges. Silva had been set to face Ovince St. Preux at UFC 171 but he has been cut by the UFC.
Bloody Elbow will keep you up to date as this story develops.
- UFC's claims of internet streams being illegal under title 47 were dismissed by court in 2012
- Ben Henderson apparently can't tell his Russian fighters apart either
- Yancy Medeiros pops for pot, suspension already over
- Is the new UFC performance bonus system going to hurt undercard and submission fighters?
- How's Taste My Tweet Tweet? Twitter Toy Dogs, Ronda Rousey photo shoot, and CM Punk