TUF 17 winner Kelvin Gastelum is getting a fairly significant step up in competition in just his 2nd fight at 170 lbs. A previously rumored bout between him and veteran Rick Story has now been made official by the UFC for their March 15th PPV in Dallas, Texas:
Undefeated TUF 17 winner @KelvinGastelum faces ranked welterweight @Rick_Story at UFC 171 March 15 in Dallas, Texas.— UFC News (@UFCNews) January 4, 2014
Gastelum (7-0) immediately moved to welterweight following his upset win over Uriah Hall in the TUF 17 Finale. He impressively took apart Brian Melancon and choked him out in just under 2 1/2 minutes at UFC Fight Night 28 in Indianapolis.
Story (16-7) was once a contender in the making, but he's just 3-4 in his last 7 fights, all of which began with an upset loss to Charlie Brenneman in June 2011. After dropping a decision to Mike Pyle at UFC 160, Story rebounded with a leg kick-heavy win against Brian Ebersole at UFC 167.
UFC 171 is chock full of welterweight fights, and the most important one will crown a new champion, as Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler battle in the night's main event for the belt that Georges St-Pierre vacated. Carlos Condit and Tyron Woodley are your co-main attractions, while Hector Lombard fights Jake Shields.
- Former UFC champ Tito Ortiz arrested in LA on suspicion of DUI
- UFC middleweight champ Weidman objects to Belfort's testosterone use
- The 20 Greatest Wrestling Matches Between Future MMA Stars
- The 20 Greatest Wrestling Matches Between Future MMA Stars, Part 1: 20-17
- T.J. Dillashaw looks at the positives of loss in last fight heading into UFC Fight Night 35