UFC welterweight contender Jake Ellenberger was supposed to compete in a five-round main event against Tarec Saffiedine in Singapore, but pulled out after suffering a hamstring injury. Saffiedine fought Hyun Gyu Lim instead while Ellenberger healed up, and now the fight is back on, this time as a three-rounder as part of UFC 172 in Baltimore on April 26th. Ellenberger tweeted the news earlier today and pointed to his official website:
My next opponent is http://t.co/pMS58IkfHx @Lunarpages @VirusIntl @Foxheadinc @BodyGloveSurge @BattleCEO @ewillphoto— Jake Ellenberger (@EllenbergerMMA) January 24, 2014
UPDATE AT 6:51 PM ET: The UFC has confirmed it themselves.
New welterweight bout added to #UFC172 card in Baltimore: @tarecfighter vs @EllenbergerMMA. Tickets on sale February 5th!— UFC News (@UFCNews) January 24, 2014
Ellenberger (29-7) was last seen losing a unanimous decision to Rory MacDonald in a lackluster UFC on Fox 8 co-main event. He looked outstanding in his only other fight in 2013, knocking out Nate Marquardt in 1 round at UFC 158. "The Juggernaut" is currently ranked 5th in the UFC's official welterweight top 15.
Saffiedine (15-3) made his UFC debut against Lim instead of Ellenberger, chopping away at Lim's legs throughout the fight and coming away with a unanimous decision win as well as a FOTN bonus. The Belgian will go down as Strikeforce's final welterweight champion after he beat Nate Marquardt a few months prior to Ellenberger's KO victory.
UFC 172 is headlined by Jon Jones' light heavyweight title defense against Glover Teixeira.
- UFC on FOX 10: Donald Cerrone vs. Adriano Martins preview and the prognostication
- UFC on Fox 10: Henderson vs. Thomson staff picks and predictions
- Middleweight Matt Horwich is down to fight heavyweight strongman Mariusz Pudzianowski
- Garcia vs Burgos live stream fight weigh-ins: Watch live online at Bloody Elbow today
- Searching for Future Champions: MMA's Top 25 Prospects, #7 - Mike Rhodes