Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. def. Bryan Vera by unanimous decision (96-94, 97-93, 98-92)
Last night's HBO World Championship Boxing main event of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Bryan Vera was steeped in controversy before the bell rang, and it's steeped in controversy after 10 rounds. In a result that is being widely criticized, Chavez took home a highly contentious unanimous decision win.
Check out Chavez vs. Vera fight video highlights right here, courtesy of ESPN.
More Chavez vs. Vera coverage:Bloody Elbow | Bad Left Hook
This fight came down to Vera's speed and volume vs. Chavez's power. The smaller, faster Vera consistently outworked Chavez throughout the 10 round affair, though very rarely landed a truly significant blow. Chavez threw far less, but with his size advantage, he was able to hit the more visually impressive blows. Judging came down to how you scored aggression vs. power. The vast majority of analysts and ringside observers had the fight for Vera. Unfortunately, the views of the judges, the only three people whose views ultimately matter, differed from most. They awarded Chavez the decision, in two cases by a surprisingly wide margin.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Chavez vs Vera: Live stream online of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Bryan Vera weigh-ins
- Floyd Mayweather 'prays for' ex-UFC champ Anderson Silva
- Shooto fighter dies hours before weigh in
- Jake Shields looking to test American Jiu-Jitsu against Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu of Demian Maia
- Ken Shamrock on Ian Freeman fallout, beef with Dana White & recent reconciliation with Frank