On a normal day, this injury announcement would be one of the bigger headlines of the day. However, Tito Ortiz pulled out of the Bellator PPV, this takes a back seat. Flyweight contender Ian McCall was set to welcome Scott Jorgensen to the division at UFC on Fox 9 in Sacramento, but MMA Junkie reports that McCall is out of the fight after suffering an undisclosed injury.
McCall (12-4-1) picked up his first UFC win in 4 tries, winning both a decision and FOTN against Iliarde Santos at UFC 163 in Brazil. "Uncle Creepy" was previously part of the inaugural flyweight tournament, where he went 0-1-1 against Demetrious Johnson and post-tournament lost to Joseph Benavidez.
Jorgensen (14-7) was submitted by Urijah Faber in the main event of The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, marking only the second submission loss of his career. The former bantamweight contender is 3-3 in the UFC but his losses have come against Renan Barao, Eddie Wineland, and Faber. The UFC brass are obviously looking for a replacement opponent for him with McCall out of action.
UFC on Fox 9 is headlined by a lightweight title fight between Anthony Pettis and Josh Thomson. Urijah Faber is in the co-feature against Michael McDonald.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Tito Ortiz injured, Bellator pay-per-view moved to Spike TV
- Bellator's November 2 PPV cancelled, moved to Spike TV after Tito Ortiz suffers fractured neck
- Report: UFC continues grab for Japanese talent with signing of Shunichi Shimizu
- Dana White reacts to Tito Ortiz pulling out of Bellator PPV
- Tito Ortiz out of Rampage Jackson bout on Bellator pay-per-view