With the crazy weather conditions recently, it's been a rough week for Filipinos. Thankfully, mother-nature has already decided to calm down a bit, and MMA fans in the country can now look forward to the multiple events from ONE FC, URCC and PXC.
The next few weeks will be big for Filipino MMA as URCC hosts another provincial card with Davao Digmaan 4 on August 19, ONE FC 5 strolls into town with a crazy stacked card on August 31, and PXC will host their best card on September 1.
As always, here's a quick rundown of the news from those 3 cards, along with other news from the other Asian countries:
- For news that have flown under the radar, we have learned that Renato Sobral has been forced off ONE FC 5. This has apparently happened a while back, and it also means that their fight card is almost finalized with only Shinya Aoki's opponent yet to be added.
- Several weeks back, he was offered a bout against Manhoef. They couldn't agree to terms, and Babalu has since signed with Bellator to compete on their Light Heavyweight tournament.
- As for PXC 33, we reported about it having 2 excellent title fights, and now the promotion has added yet another marquee match up, signing top Filipino featherweight prospect, Mark Striegl to a contract. The 24-year-old fighter is undefeated in 10 bouts, and is now set to face Guam's Robert Wusstig, who has a win over former URCC and PXC bantamweight champ, Justin Cruz.
- Also on the PXC 33 card, Bellator veteran and Phuket Top Team product, Anthony Leone (11-5) will be participating. He will be taking on Satoshi Inaba of Japan.
- 'Big John' McCarthy will also be a special guest referee for PXC 33.
- A promotional video for URCC's provincial show, Davao Digmaan 4 has been released. Not much details were announced, but URCC Interim Featherweight Champion, Ricardo Sapno will be fighting in his hometown to defend his title against Joward Agao.
Much more news after the jump, including the current fight cards for these events. Follow me on twitter -- @antontabuena
Before we get to the fight cards for the upcoming Asian MMA events, here are other news from the Asian region:
- Melvin Manhoef, has signed for a fight on Korean promotion, Road FC, which is part of the ONE FC network. The K-1 vet was last seen at ONE FC 3, where he clashed shins with Yoshiyuki Yakanishi which resulted in a no-contest after both fighters sustained nasty cuts. He will be facing Kim Jae Young, of Korea.
- Another interesting pick up for the promotion, is Ikuhisa Minowa. No stranger to fighting in mismatches or freakshow bouts, Minowaman will be taking on Jin Soo Yuk, a Korean who has apparently yet to taste victory in the cage. (HT: MMAMania)
- Speaking of Road FC, their next show will be on Sept. 15, and they will be hosting a lightweight grand prix to crown their first champion. If the promotion sounds familiar, their bantamweight champion and GP winner, Kyung Ho Kang has recently signed with the UFC to compete on their Macau card.
- Switching gears, Hong Kong-based promotion, Legend FC has posted the complete fight card for Legend 10. Unfortunately, they now won't be having a total of 3 title fights as we reported earlier. Why? Arguably their biggest star, Bae Myung Ho, has suffered a back injury and had to be pulled off his title defense against Wang Sai. They still have 2 title bouts, and several interesting match ups on the card though, so check it out below.
- As for more Chinese MMA, RUFF has announced their 5th event which is set for September 8. It has several of the top Chinese guys like Jumabieke Tuerxun, Wang Guan, and others. The promotion has been doing big things for the MMA scene in the country, and they have signed up several of the best talent in the country (which the UFC couldn't even do for their Macau card), although hopefully they do get that issue about the handwraps sorted out on their next events.
Here's a few clips to get you hyped:
- A promo for PXC 33 where TUF Veteran Jon Tuck talks about his lightweight title fight against Harris Sarmiento:
- TV Commercial for Legend FC 10:
- And a bonus clip on the Legend FC Ring Girls:
It's going to be an exciting month for Asian MMA fans, and here are notable cards coming up in the next three weeks:
URCC Davao Digmaan 4
August 19, 2012 -- Davao, Philippines
- Ricardo Sapno vs. Joward Agao [Interim URCC Featherweight Championship]
Legend Fighting Championship 10
August 24, 2012 -- Hong Kong
- Yusuke Kawanago vs. Rob Lisita [Legend Featherweight Championship]
- Hae Jun Yang vs. Liu Wenbo [Vacant Legend Middleweight Championship]
- Cole Davids vs. Brandon Ropati
- Rob Hill vs. Koji Oishi
- Ji Xian vs. Ruel Catalan
- Alex Niu vs. Luke Jumeau
- Jacques Marsters vs. Yusuke Kasuya
- Choi Yeong Gwang vs. Leonard Delarmino
- Kai Kara-France vs. Sam Chan
- Ev Ting vs. Rolando Gabriel Dy
ONE Fighting Championship 5: Pride of a Nation- Shinya Aoki
August 31, 2012 -- Araneta Coliseum, Philippines
- Bibiano Fernandes vs. Gustavo Falciroli
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Tim Sylvia
- Jens Pulver vs. Eric Kelly
- Gregor Gracie vs. Nicholas Mann
- Eduard Folayang vs. Felipe Enomoto
- Rolles Gracie vs. Tony Bonello
- Igor Gracie vs. Jung Hwan Cha
- Phil Baroni vs. Rodrigo Ribeiro
- Kevin Belingon vs. Soo Chul Kim
- Mitch Chilson vs. Shannon Wiratchai
- Honorio Banario vs. Andrew Benibe
PXC 33: Sarmiento vs. Tuck
September 1, 2012 -- Ynares Arena, Philippines
- Harris Sarmiento vs. Jon Tuck [PXC Lightweight Championship]
- Ale Cali vs. Erwin Tagle [PXC Flyweight Championship]
- Mark Striegl vs. Robert Wusstig
- Anthony Leone vs. Satoshi Inaba
- Richie Redman vs. Hong Seung Chan
- Troy Bantiag vs. Jon Delos Reyes
- Eugene Toquero vs. Leonard Caliwa
- Victor Torre vs. Jerome Wanawan
- Kristoffer Persson vs. Isaiah Ordiz
- Arex Montalban vs. Salvador Domasian