Most people were expecting a blowout, so naturally, a lot were disappointed with Georges St. Pierre's UFC 129 performance as we wasn't able to dispatch Jake Shields after five rounds of action. He won a decision and gave credit to his opponent, but the reason for GSP's poor showing was only revealed during Joe Rogan's post-fight interview with him. The champion was seen wincing in between rounds, but after the fight, St. Pierre mentioned that he couldn't see out of his left eye since the second round.
After the match, St. Pierre went to the Hospital to get his eye checked. He gave an update from his twitter account:
Hey everybody, leaving the hospital soon, just finished all my eye tests, I still don't see anything from my left eye but I'll be [fine]... Thanks for your support!!
A few hours after he fought, he still couldn't see out of his eye. This would normally be a concern, but since doctors said he'll be fine, hopefully that means that there will be no permanent damage. Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery.
More Bloody Elbow UFC 129 Results and analysis:
- Georges St. Pierre Holds Back UFC's Canadian Coming Out Party at UFC 129 - Jonathan Snowden
- Is Steven Seagal Secretly a Martial Arts Genius? - Jonathan Snowden
- UFC 129 Post-Fight Press Conference Video
- Play by Play and Live Commentary - Brent Brookhouse
- Georges St. Pierre Slips Past Jake Shields
- Jose Aldo Holds Off Mark Hominick
- Lyoto Machida Clouts Randy Couture
- Vladimir Matyushenko Mops the Floor With Jason Brilz
- Ben Henderson Whips Up On Mark Bocek
- Rory MacDonald Ragdolls Nate Diaz
- Jake Ellenberger Brutalizes Sean Pierson
- Claude Patrick Edges Daniel Roberts
- Pablo Garza Submits Yves Jabouin
- John Makdessi KO's Kyle Watson With Spinning Back Fist
- Jason MacDonald Triangles Ryan Jensen
- Ivan Menjivar Clocks Charlie Valencia