Light heavyweight champ Jon Jones escaped his UFC 165 fight with Alexander Gustafsson with the title belt still around his waist, but the physical injuries he suffered were apparent to those close to him. Jones was seen limping badly as he left the arena, and was taken to a local hospital following the fight. Besides the cut above his right eye and the generally busted up face, he may have fractured his foot.
Jones' striking coach Mike Winkeljohn tweeted the news early Sunday morning.
Jon Jones showed true grit tonight fighting through a badly injured foot, possibly shattered.. early on in the... http://t.co/BrICr1Q8ca— Mike Winkeljohn (@mmacoachwink) September 22, 2013
Winkeljohn further explained the possible injury in a post on his Facebook page.
"There is no attempt to make an excuse here. Actually a compliment to Gus's skill in checking Jon's kick- which is where the injury occurred. Jon's injury did impede his movement no doubt."
If Jones did fracture his foot, it will be the second foot injury he has suffered in his last two fights. Who can forget the grisly toe injury that he suffered in his UFC 159 fight with Chael Sonnen last April?
More from Bloody Elbow:
- UFC 165 results recap: Ivan Menjivar vs. Wilson Reis
- MMA Gear Review: LUTA Sportswear rash guards, MMA shorts
- UFC 165 results recap: Chris Clements vs. Stephen Thompson
- UFC 165 results recap: Mitch Gagnon vs. Dustin Kimura
- Report: UFC releases Mizuto Hirota and Azamat Gashimov, signs Bruno Santos and Alexandra Albu