If a proposed fight between top ten UFC heavyweights Mark Hunt and Roy Nelson ends up as the main event of the September Fight Night card in Saitama, Japan, Hunt has a ready made tagline for the fight: "Battle of the Bulge."
Hunt (9-8-1), appearing on The MMA Hour revealed that he is ready to get back to training after suffering a broken hand in his last fight, a December 2013 "Fight of the Night" scrap against Antonio Silva.
The UFC had hoped that Hunt's return bout would be the June 28 card that is scheduled for his home country of New Zealand, but that date was just not feasible. According to the 40-year-old fighter, "It wasn't good timing. I had just had a baby, and I wasn't training, and my hand wasn't cleared so I said no. I had no option. I'm a little disappointed, but there's always next time."
Earlier this year there were some rumblings that No. 13 ranked UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub wanted a shot at the No. 8 ranked Hunt. While Hunt engaged Schaub in a Twitter battle he has no interest in taking things to the next level with Schaub. As Hunt explained, "No disrespect to Brendan, (but) I want to fight some of the top guys, like in the top ten, and Schaub would probably be going backward."
The fight against the No. 9 ranked Nelson (20-9) is much more appealing to Hunt, "I feel Roy's a lot better opponent than Brendan Schaub is. He's a better fighter and I want to fight the better guys."
Hunt said he has already agreed to fight Nelson, but that the fight remains unbooked at this time. Despite not having a concrete date or opponent for his next bout, Hunt is getting ready to head to Brisbane, Australia for a couple weeks of what he referred to as "zoo training" before beginning his fight camp in New Zealand.
Offering some detail on "zoo training", Hunt described it as, "Animal movements, and things like this. It's really hard work, big guys like me - I did a 45-minute session of that and I was totally shot. It's hard work, like bear crawling and it's just constant work all the time - just body weight."
If the "Battle of the Bulge" with Nelson does come to fruition, Nelson will no doubt be looking to land a right hand like the one he used to stop Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in his last outing. When asked if he thought he could withstand the power of Nelson, Hunt, who has six knockout wins to his name, replied, "The question is, can he withstand mine?"