The UFC Fight Night main event promised to be an exciting clash of styles as touted former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi made his return to middleweight against former UFC light heavyweight champ Lyoto Machida. Could Machida genarate enough offense to keep Mousasi on his back foot, or would he look to counter off Mousasi's boxing game? Would Mousasi offer a new look to Machida, working behind his long jab and solid footwork and boxing combinations, or would he be out of his depth against the toughest competition of his long MMA career?
After a couple of feeling out rounds, Machida really started to turn up his control on the fight. Blasting Mousasi with headkicks, counter lefts, and buzzing knees to the rib. Mousasi couldn't ever quite find his range or rhythm for any length of time. It wasn't brutally onesided, but it was a chess match that Machida clearly won. His buzzing, diving punch at the end that nearly put Mousasi out was the icing on the cake to a fantastic performance from the Dragon.
- UFC Fight Night 36: Takenori Sato vs. Erick Silva full fight video highlights
- UFC Fight Night 36: Post-fight bonuses - Silva, Oliveira, Machida and Mousasi earn $50,000
- UFC Fight Night: Machida vs Mousasi - Results and post-fight analysis
- UFC Fight Night 36 results: Lyoto Machida defeats Gegard Mousasi by unanimous decision in main event
- UFC Fight Night 36 results: Jacare Souza dominates Francis Carmont on the ground, wins unanimous decision