Junior dos Santos doesn't appear to be worried about a fight with Alistair Overeem, despite all the talk from Dana White and Overeem himself this week. White claimed that Overeem was "literally running" from Dos Santos after turning down two proposed bouts with the former champ, while Overeem simply said that he was injured and that's why he didn't take the bout. But in an interview on MMA Junkie radio, Overeem straight up said it's probably not going to happen:
"I don’t care about this guy. I don’t care what’s going to happen with him right now. I’m here to fight with anyone in the heavyweight division. It’s like that.
"He’s a good opponent, but right now I think this fight will not happen again."
Instead, he'd like to fight another man that's been rising up the UFC rankings in the heavyweight division of late - Stipe Miocic:
"I prefer Miocic. I think Miocic is living a very good moment in his career, so it could be a good fight for the people."
Dana White was asked about that proposed bout and said he liked it too, so that might very well be what we'll see next. Personally, I was more interested in Overeem rematching Mark Hunt next and I love the idea of Miocic/Dos Santos, so this works for me. But I know that Overeem/JDS is still a fight that some fans were clamoring for, so they might be disappointed by this.
- Lyoto Machida: 'Always positive' fighter not concerned about UFC middlweight title shot talk
- UFC Fight Night 36: Lyoto Machida vs. Gegard Mousasi preview and the prognostication
- Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Clay Guida set for April show in Abu Dhabi
- Invicta FC officially signs 15 new fighters, 7 strawweights
- UFC Fight Night 36: Gegard Mousasi 'There's nobody I can't beat at middleweight'