After giving up back-to-back upsets in his last two outings, heavyweight Alistair Overeem finally picked up his second win inside the Octagon with a unanimous decision over Frank Mir at UFC 168. Despite having Mir in danger early in the fight, Reem admittedly let off the gas in the following rounds as he coasted to victory.
Immediately following the event discussions turned to who "The Reem" would face next. Foremost in the conversation was former champion Junior dos Santos. The UFC has tried twice in the past two years to match the two strikers, but the fight has always fallen through. This time around, Dana White says Overeem is actively avoiding the fight:
Reem was offered a 5 round main event in Brazil and said no, also a 3-round co-main in Vegas. Turned it down. He’s hiding from JDS. - Dana— UFC Tonight (@UFCTonight) February 13, 2014
With JDS apparently off the table, Mark Hunt remains as one of the most talked about potential fights for Overeem at this point. It'd be another striker vs. striker match that fans want to see. If the fight gets made, it would be a rematch of their Dream 5 fight back in 2008 which Alistair won via first round submission.
- Eyewitness account of stabbing in arena at UFC 169
- UFC 170 conference call with Ronda Rousey, Rashad Evans, Daniel Cormier, and Sara McMann
- UFC: Conor McGregor shows hidden talent in new Heineken commercial
- Former boxing champ Vic Darchinyan training with Ronda Rousey for MMA debut in April
- MMA Vivisection: UFC Fight Night 36 - Machida vs. Mousasi full-card predictions and analysis