Joseph Torrez, the 27-year-old pro fighter (1-5 as a pro), who fought off a home invasion from four attackers that left one dead and another hospitalized is prepared to face charges in the incident if the authorities choose to focus on him rather than the attackers.
The Las Cruces Sun-News has the details:
A Las Cruces attorney Sunday started an online campaign in support of Joseph Torrez. The 27-year-old construction worker and mixed martial arts fighter reportedly fought four gang members on New Year's Day after they forced their way into his home on King James Avenue near the community of Doña Ana, according to court documents and Torrez's attorney, C.J. McElhinney.
In his initial post on the "Support Joe Torrez" Facebook page, McElhinney wrote: "Unfortunately, I think we are at the beginning of a very long fight. Please know that I have advised Joe to make no statements of any kind until this situation is resolved. He is reading all of your posts and truly appreciates your support."
McElhinney said he advised Torrez to stop cooperating with the Doña Ana County Sheriff's Office late last week during an interview with investigators. Initially, McElhinney said, investigators had called it a self-defense case.
Here's coverage of McEhlinney talking to the press:
A Las Cruces TV station is reporting that two women are being investigated in the incident as well:
Bloody Elbow will keep you updated as the story develops.