The ratings are in and despite a very weak card and poor live attendance, UFC on Fox 10: Henderson vs. Thomson did alright according to TV by the Numbers. The show garnered a 1.1 rating, 2.55 million viewers and won the key adults age 18-49 demographic.
Combat sports TV guru Dave Meltzer had some analysis:
It was below the level of the previous "football" season shows, but it figured to be given the lineup. It was a good sign when you consider how it did compared to the previous show and compare the lineups. It is also likely to have a greater gain once the final ratings come in because the main event went longer so the bulk of the main event was after 10 p.m.
The overnights only measure 8-10 p.m. in the Eastern, Central and Mountain time zones. The West Coast is figured in, but what is measured is what the local station airs from 8-10 p.m., even though the fights aired 5-7 p.m. So there will be an increase when the final numbers come out on Monday or Tuesday.
MMA Payout added:
Saturday night network television was not too competitive as the UFC went up against reruns of Mike and Molly, Two and a Half men and NCIS on CBS, a children’s movie, "Flushed Away" on ABC and a Shaun White special in preparation for the Olympics on NBC.
Despite a less than stellar card, the UFC chose the right night to run live programming on the network. The overnight numbers outdid the past two UFC on Fox live events. Notably, the last two Fox events featured Demetrious Johnson in the main event. But Benson Henderson, another Fox television favorite, this was the lowest rating for him in the main event (UFC on Fox 5, 3.41M/UFC on Fox 7, 3.3M)
MMA Fighting pulled all the historic UFC on Fox numbers for comparison:
- UFC on FOX 1: 5.7 million average viewership, 3.1 rating in adults 18-49.
- UFC on FOX 2: 4.57 million average viewership, 2.2 rating in adults 18-49.
Date: January 28, 2012, headlined by Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis
- UFC on FOX 3: 2.25 million average viewership, 1.0 rating in adults 18-49
Date: May 5, 2012, headlined by Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller
- UFC on FOX 4: 2.36 million average viewership, 0.9 rating in adults 18-49
Date: August 4, 2012, headlined by Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua vs. Brandon Vera
- UFC on FOX 5: 3.41 million average viewership, 1.6 rating in adults 18-49
Date: December 8, 2012, headlined by Benson Henderson vs. Nate Diaz
- UFC on FOX 6: 3.77 million average viewership, 1.7 rating in adults 18-49
Date: January 26, 2013, headlined by Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson
- UFC on FOX 7: 3.3 million average viewership, 1.6 rating in adults 18-49
Date: April 20, 2013, headlined by Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez
- UFC on Fox 8: 2.08 million average viewership, .9 rating in adults 18-49
Date: July 27th, 2013 headlined by Demetrious Johnson vs. John Moraga
- UFC on FOX 9: 2.41 million average viewership, 1.0 rating in adults 18-49
- How MMA scoring works: The Bendo edition
- UFC on Fox 10 reported live gate is lowest Chicago card, 2nd lowest Fox card to date
- UFC 169 will be moved to Sunday if Super Bowl is moved back to Saturday
- WWE Royal Rumble 2014 Live Results, Play-by-Play, Discussion
- Journo to Journo: Matt Roth talks GSP, Fight Pass, Bloody Elbow and pooping yourself in a fight