Cerrone (21-6-0-1) speaking to Ariel Helwani on Thursday said of Martins (25-6), "Never heard of him, don't care. Saturday night he better show up."
That approach would seem strange if it were almost any other fighter on the UFC's roster, but coming from Cerrone, it seems fitting. After all, this is the man who said his goal for 2014 is to fight a total of six times. In other words, if UFC matchmaker Joe Silva is calling to see if Cerrone wants to fight, the answer is going to be yes, and that answer is going to come before Cerrone asks whom the fight is against.
In Cerrone's words, "If there's anybody on the bench that wants a fight, Cowboy will fight you. I'm not trying to protect my ranking. You want to fight, let's fight."
This is not idle talk from the man ranked No. 8 in the UFC's lightweight division. With 11 UFC fights and seven Fight Night bonuses to his name, Cerrone could have easily held out for more a "name" opponent, but he didn't. Instead, he signed on the dotted line to face a fighter with only one previous appearance in the UFC and not much name recognition.
Cerrone and Martins will meet on the main card of UFC on Fox 10. The event will be headlined by a lightweight bout between Benson Henderson and Josh Thomson.
Here's the full Cerrone interview with Ariel Helwani:
- UFC Dana White 'would be dead already' if he were Justin Bieber
- UFC on Fox 10: Henderson vs. Thomson post-fight-press conference video
- UFC: White says Thomson to get next title shot with win
- UFC on Fox 10: Henderson vs. Thomson live weigh-in video
- UFC: White says Weidman/Belfort to happen on either the Memorial Day or July 4th card