On November 19th, 2011, Mauricio Rua and Dan Henderson engaged in an epic five-round war that left both men battered, bruised, pulverized, and the judges saw the classic for Henderson. Henderson was given a title shot based on that performance while Shogun, who was only months removed from losing his UFC light heavyweight title, finished 2011 1-2. Fast forward to 2014 and Henderson has lost his last 3, never fought Jon Jones for the title, and was knocked out for the first time in his career via a Vitor Belfort head kick. Shogun plastered James Te Huna in December but is otherwise well out of the title picture despite still being ranked in the top 10.
Those two will meet again on a Sunday UFC show in Natal, Brazil on March 23rd. Fox Sports 1 has Motocross the previous day, hence the rare Sunday primetime slot that brings up memories of the UFC's Versus shows. No co-main event is set but several other fights are on tap, and here they are:
Mauricio Rua vs. Dan Henderson
C.B. Dollaway vs. Cezar Ferreira
Steven Siler vs. Rony Jason
Scott Jorgensen vs. Jussier Formiga
Ronny Markes vs. Thiago Santos
Leonardo Santos vs. Norman Parke
Gleison Tibau vs. Mairbek Taisumov
Fabio Maldonado vs. Gian Villante
Thiago Perpetuo vs. Kenny Robertson
- Rebney says Tito Ortiz is risking paralysis if he fights again
- Roundtable: Will (and should) GSP return to the UFC?
- UFC: Dan Henderson on moving to MW, testing, Bisping, Vitor, contract negotiations & more
- Ali Abdel-Aziz issues WSOF callout of Bjorn Rebney and Bellator
- Ben Henderson on Josh Thomson's 'worst camp ever': 'That's life'