Yesterday Jason High tweeted out the unfortunate news of his ruptured appendix, which will obviously keep him out of his scheduled fight against Beneil Dariush at UFC Fight Night 35. With just two weeks before fight night, the UFC has found a familiar face as a late replacement. Dariush will fight Charlie Brenneman according to MMA Junkie, and the bout will remain on the main card.
Brenneman (19-5) was axed after his UFC 152 knockout loss to Kyle Noke, which dropped him to 1-3 in his last 4 fights and 4-4 overall. "The Spaniard", whose best win to date is a unanimous decision over Rick Story on 24 hours notice at UFC on Versus 4, moved to lightweight post-UFC and won all 4 of his bouts, including 3 by submission. It should be noted that Brenneman's UFC debut came against Jason High in March 2010, with Brenneman winning a decision and High consequently being cut.
It'll be interesting to see whether or not Brenneman will immediately return to lightweight after the Dariush fight. His success at welterweight stagnated after the Story win, and not only did he regain his winning form at a new weight class, but he was finishing his opposition, something he failed to do in his UFC wins.
Brenneman vs. Dariush joins 5 other fights on the main card of UFC FN 35 in Duluth, Georgia. Luke Rockhold and Costa Philippou headline the January 15th show.
UPDATE: Brenneman has confirmed the fight will be at lightweight and not welterweight.
- UFC 168 Judo Chops of Ronda Rousey Part II: Picture Perfect Harai Goshi
- UFC Fight Night 34: UFC Fight Pass preliminary card preview and prognostications
- BE's Baddest MMA Greatest of All Time Tournament Winner: Fedor Emelianenko
- UFC Asian Expansion plans: 5-7 shows for 2014, China on 2015, TUF South East Asia
- UFC Fight Night 34: Saffiedine vs. Lim Media Day Stare Down Photos