Big news in the world of women's MMA, as former Invicta atomweight champion Jessica Penne recently announced her intentions of trying out for TUF 20. Honestly, the idea of her trying out seems a bit silly in and of itself. If she wants a spot on the show I can't think of anything standing in the way of her getting one. Her brash, outspoken personality, coupled with a ton of awesome grappling talent should make her a shoe in for the 20th iteration of the Ultimate Fighter.
Penne announced her intentions via Twitter:
@arielhelwani im not sure...I'm going up 115 to tryout for tuf— Jessica Penne (@JessicaPenne) January 15, 2014
Penne has always seemed really big at 105 lbs. Of course, she used to compete at 115 until a loss to Zoila Gurgel caused her to drop down a division. Penne has improved a lot since then, so I don't know that she'll have trouble competing in terms of size (and Gurgel was pretty big at 115 lbs anyway). The reality of it is that with the UFC maintaining a bantamweight and a straw weight division women at 105, 125, and 145 are going to find themselves in position to add weight or cut it. There are a lot of opportunities for good women athletes in the UFC right now and fighters who can take the leap will be best served by doing so.
Stay tuned as we'll be sure to keep you updated with more WMMA news including Ultimate Fighter updates and fight announcements.
- Gilbert Smith on why he always wears a cup: I got my stuff smashed up in me
- Searching for Future Champions: MMA's Top 25 Prospects, #11 - Niklas Backstrom
- UFC Fight Night 35 post-fight results: Fights to make for main card fighters
- Dan Henderson says Vitor Belfort loses to Chris Weidman, especially without TRT in the U.S.
- Junior dos Santos' camp targeting May or June return to UFC action