For the first time in his 40-fight MMA career, Dan Henderson is coming off three consecutive losses. Most recently he suffered the only TKO of his career at UFC Fight Night 32 against Vitor Belfort. That fight was the last on his UFC contract and didn't exactly put him in a strong position for negotiations.
Henderson appeared on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour to discuss how talks are going with the UFC:
"I was fairly surprised that it’s as far away as what I thought I fair offer would have been," he said. "I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say I was insulted, but I know what they’re trying to accomplish and trying to get everybody for as cheap as they can. That’s what they like to do. I don’t take it personally, but it was a lot lower than I expected.
"What I was asking for is a decent pay cut from what I was making," he said. "Which I thought was fair."
He went on to say that the UFC is looking to cut his pay down by more than 50% per fight. For UFC 157, the most recent event with Henderson where salaries were disclosed, he was paid $250K to show. He made the same at UFC 139 with no win bonus.
Although the two parties are struggling to come to terms, Henderson assured that he has no intentions of fighting anywhere but the UFC. However, this isn't the first time he's run into difficulty in contract negotiations. After his KO of Michael Bisping at UFC 100, Henderson and the UFC failed to see eye-to-eye and he left for the then greener pastures of Strikeforce.
Henderson expects negotiations to resolve within the next couple weeks. He intends to continue competing for two more years and is looking for a 4-6 fight contract.