Some good news for fans of the Diaz brothers, via Middle Easy:
I received an email from Keith Kizer letting me know that as of yesterday, the NSAC has officially raised the testing threshold of marijuana metabolites from 50 ng/mL to 150 ng/mL. That represents a 300% increase, which means you can have 3x more marijuana metabolites in your system before it's a positive test. something unprecedented in the the industry. From our previous conversation we had a couple weeks ago, Kizer told me to expect this to happen sometime this month, and it seems to be in direct response to the public's outcry of the nonsensical demonization of marijuana in MMA. Now that the threshold has been raised, fighters could literally smoke marijuana roughly up until a week before their fight -- although it's best to stay off the green, leafy stuff at least two weeks prior to a 150 ng/ML test just to err on the side of caution.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Rafael 'Feijao' Cavalcante to face Igor Pokrajac at UFC Fight Night 32
- Bellator 98: Shlemenko vs. Cooper preview, plus Joe Warren, middleweight tournament quarterfinals
- Frank Mir vs. Alistair Overeem official for UFC 167
- Report: Johny Hendricks has yet to file VADA paperwork
- UFC 166 fight card: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos 3