"Yea, what he has is a serious condition, you know, and I honestly don't think he ever will [fight again]," White said. "He's got a rip in his heart," he explained. "And you know, it's one of those freak things that happen to people, and I love the kid. The kid's got, no pun intended, but he's got unbelievable heart. He's tough as nails. He's the nicest guy in the world, and we're going to do everything in our power to help him through this thing."
The 6'11" Struve was last seen in action losing to Mark Hunt via TKO at UFC on Fuel TV: Silva vs. Stann in March. He had hoped to face Brazilian legend Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 168 in December. Struve is 25-6 as a professional mixed martial artist and compiled a 9-4 UFC record in his four years with the organization.
Struve was diagnosed with a a leaking aortic valve and an enlarged heart by doctors in his native Holland.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Jon Jones: Glover Teixeira is like Rampage Jackson with better grappling
- Golovkin VS Stevens - NY Press Conference Video
- Showtime Boxing Mitchell vs. Arreola preview, results, discussion, live fight coverage September 7
- Ronda Rousey left with 'sour taste' after filming of The Ultimate Fighter 18
- UFC Fight Night 28 results: Kid Nate's bathrobe review & analysis