Undoubtedly the icon of Japanese MMA for the first decade of the new millennium, Kazushi Sakuraba represented an indelible spirit in combat sports. Often fighting opponents one weight class or more above his natural weight during Pride Fighting Championship's heyday, he was able to overcome their physicality with skill, improvisation and heart. Not all fights went his way though, as he had lost almost as spectacularly in recent years as he had won in the past. Still he was a fighter that embodied taking on all challengers and always went for broke, and always had the audience in mind as he shunned the ultra conservative, point fighting approach seen out of some modern day combatants.
A fighter's fighter and and fan favourite -- even UFC president Dana White is a big fan -- this video interview from Matt Benyon and Scramble, filmed in May this year but just recently released with full English subtitles, is a must for any MMA aficionado.For the fashion conscious, a Sakuraba x Scramble line is set to launch in October.
If you never had the chance to watch Sakuraba fight in his prime, this excellent highlight should give you an idea of why he was so adored.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Interview Exclusive: Joe Rogan Explains Everything, Part III
- Rashad Evans says fight with Chael Sonnen 'is going to happen' at UFC 167
- Dana White says Anthony Pettis' next fight will be against T.J. Grant, not Jose Aldo
- Asian MMA Update: UFC heading to Singapore and Philippines, TUF: China, Fukuda and Tamura to Road FC
- Report: UFC attempts to change venues after Fight Night 28 ticket sales slump