Looks like Wilson Reis will have to wait a little longer to make his UFC debut. MMAjunkie reports that the former Bellator tournament contender and EliteXC champion has been pulled from UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Bader after his opponent, Hugo Viana, was forced to withdraw due to a knee injury. Officials announced that no replacement fight would be made given the extremely short notice of the injury, leaving the card with a total of 11 fights, only one of which would be appearing on Facebook.
Viana posted a photo of the injury on Instagram explaining that he had injured the knee will working on his last pre-fight Jiu Jitsu training session.
He reports that the injury is not serious and he hopes to return to serious training quickly. Why he was possibly rolling four days out from a fight I have no idea, but hopefully some sort of meaningful lesson has been learned on easing back on the high intensity training a little further out from fight night. No new opponent or debut date has been announced for Reis as of yet.
UFC Fight Night 28 takes place Wednesday, September 4th in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. The card will feature Glover Teixeira taking on Ryan Bader at light heavyweight as well as Yushin Okami vs. Ronaldo Souza and Joseph Benavidez vs. Jussier da Silva. Stay tuned to Bloody Elbow for all the fight news, breakdowns, and updates.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Benson Henderson's manager on what's next for former UFC champion
- UFC Fight Night 28: Francisco Trinaldo vs. Piotr Hallmann Dissection
- UFC 164 results: Gracie breakdown of Anthony Pettis' arm bar win over Ben Henderson with Lyoto Machida
- Interview Exclusive: Joe Rogan Explains Everything, Part II
- Glory kickboxing coming to Los Angeles, Chicago, New York with shows to air on Spike TV