There was a lot of talk, after UFC 165's main event, about what some considered to be curious scoring on the part of the judges for Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson. Now, MMAjunkie has gotten a hold of the official judges scores to pull back the curtain on the round by round winners. At the final bell Jones took the fight on all three cards, 48-47, 48-47, 49-46.
Judge Richard Bertrand, who scored the fight 48-47 for Jones, gave him rounds 2, 4, and 5, scoring 1 and 3 for Gustafsson. Judge Doug Crosby, who also scored the fight 48-47 for Jones, had the champion winning 3, 4, and 5, giving Gustafsson rounds 1 and 2. And finally, judge Chris Lee, who scored the fight 49-46 for Jones, only awarded Gustafsson the first round, awarding 2, 3, 4, and 5 to Jones. All Judges agreed that Jones won 4 and 5 and that Gustafsson won round 1, it was only the middle two that saw them divided in their scoring.
It was somewhat surprising to me, personally, that only one judge awarded Gustafsson round three, as it was the round that I felt he most clearly won. But I suppose that only goes further to show the difficulties in scoring this fight. What do you think? Did the judges get it right? What rounds did you have Jones and Gustafsson winning?
More from Bloody Elbow:
- UFC 165 results: Gracie Breakdown Brendan Schaub vs. Matt Mitrione D'arce choke
- UFC 165: Jon Jones lets his heart and mind do the promoting for him
- Wanderlei Silva looking to face Chael Sonnen in Brazil or Oregon
- UFC 165 results: Despite fears, Jones and Gustafsson escape UFC 165 largely uninjured
- Alexander Gustafsson has no major injuries as he hopes for Jon Jones rematch