UFC contender and commentator has made himself and the UFC a lot of money with his big mouth and knack for making outrageous remarks, but sometimes even Chael goes to far. First up, here's what he said on a Fox Sports panel covering the Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez bout this past Saturday via MMA Fighting:
"Look, Floyd needs to keep doing what he's doing, which is fighting complete tomato cans that we've never heard of before, " said Sonnen. "I've never seen anybody in the history of America get so rich and so famous off of having complete wimps throwing punch at their faces. I know what you're saying. You're saying, ‘Well, it's happened before, what about Rihanna?'"
After a smattering of awkward laughter from the panel, Sonnen pauses to ask, "Too soon? Was it too soon?"
After Deadspin raised a stink, Fox Sports issued an apology:
FOX Sports regrets the comments Chael Sonnen made during last night's edition of FOX Sports Live. They were an inappropriate attempt at humor that Sonnen acknowledges shouldn't have been made and he apologizes to anyone who may have been offended by his remarks.
Chael should keep in mind that the UFC has enemies and that those enemies have had a lot of success using sexist and racist remarks made by UFC representatives to discredit the organization.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- How's Taste My Tweet Tweet? Overeem on GTA V, UFC Hall of Famers beef with Dana White
- Mac Danzig vs. Joe Lauzon on tap for UFC on Fox 9
- UFC: Josh Thomson 'I wasted the best moments of my career injured'
- 2013 FILA World Championships of Wrestling Day 3 Live Video Stream
- Scott Jorgensen dropping to flyweight, will face Ian 'Uncle Creepy' McCall at UFC on Fox 9