ONE Fighting Championship was in Jakarta for their 10th event, and on the main event former ONE FC champion Kotetsu Boku took on Vuyisile Colossa in a battle of lightweight strikers. Earlier in the fight, Boku tried to use his movement to set up that same overhand right that knocked out Zorobabel Moreira in the past, but it was to no avail. After figuring out his rhythm and getting his timing down, Colossa put on an absolute Muay Thai clinic against the more boxing-centric veteran.
He completely dominated the second and third stanzas, chopping down Boku's legs with powerful kicks that were set up from nice crisp combinations. He came close to finishing Boku at one point, but the always resilient Japanese star survived and avoided suffering his first stoppage loss from strikes. Either way, it's a huge statement win that puts Colossa into contention despite his highly deceiving 6-4 record.
For full results, check it out here.
Check out gifs of the bout below, along with more analysis and animated goodness from the other fights courtesy of BE's own Zombie Prophet:
There were also a lot of action in the supporting bouts of the card, so here's a quick rundown of the fights:
- Division I wrestler and Evolve MMA product Jake Butler improved to 3-0 by submitting Karate-based fighter James Kouame in the first round. After getting a nice takedown, Butler eventually gained mount, and finished an arm triangle without even jumping to side control. With the lack of depth at light heavyweight in Asia, and with 3 straight wins in the promotion, you can expect him to get fast tracked to a shot at the inaugural ONE FC title.
Check out the gifs:
- No-Gi champ Bruno Pucci survived an early knockdown against Pakistan MMA pioneer Bashir Ahmad to secure a pretty nifty choke. Only 23-years-old, this BJJ blackbelt improved to 3-0 in his young MMA career. It would be really interesting to see him develop as he continues to round out his MMA game with the numerous Muay Thai world champions at Evolve MMA.
- One of the guys who made a huge statement on the card was the first fight on the main card. Muay Thai champion Alain Ngalani may be getting up there in age, but he still packs power and brings that much needed entertainment in a division that really lacks the depth in Asia. Case in point, check out this spinning kick:
- They were probably playing to the local Indonesian crowd with this decision, but Strikeforce standout and UFC vet Caros Fodor deserved a slot at the main card, and during the fight he clearly displayed why. He took on a talented prospect in "Tommy" Yang Seung Ho, and he dominated a perfect Wall 'n Maul strategy by landing several hard strikes from the fence. Hopefully this win earns him a better slot in the line up next time. Watch some clips below:
- Vincent Latoel returned from a long layoff to submit Willy Ni with an early guillotine.
- It wasn't the most eventful fight but Evolve MMA's Almiro Barros used his BJJ blackbelt well by controling Kian Pham on the ground to secure a decision win. Here's some of the action from the stand up department:
- Light heavyweight Eugenio Tan by Submission in the first round:submitted
- Max Metino secured a 2nd round Kimura against Long Sophy
- It only took a few seconds beforechoked out Brianata Rosadhi to start the event.
Follow me on twitter -- @antontabuena