Both fighters are currently reside in the top ten in the UFC's heavyweight rankings. Browne holds the No. 5 spot, while Miocic comes in at No. 10. News of the potential matchup was revealed on Wednesday's episode of UFC Tonight.
Browne (15-1-1) is coming off a first round knockout victory over Alistair Overeem at UFC Fight Night 26. Browne looked to be in deep trouble early, but he weathered the storm, coming back to knock out Overeem with a front kick in the first round. For his efforts, Browne received Knockout of the Night honors. It was the second consecutive bonus winning performance for Browne. He also earned Knockout of the Night for his April 13 first round stoppage of Gabriel Gonzaga.
Miocic (10-1) is coming off an upset victory at UFC 161. Miocic entered his fight against Roy Nelson as the underdog, but emerged the unanimous decision victor, earning 30-27 marks from all three judges.
Between them, the two 31-year-old fighters have 21 stoppage victories. There only losses have both come via knockout. Browne was stopped by Antonio Silva. Miocic was TKO'd by Stefan Struve.
UFC on Fox 9 will take place on December 14 from the Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, CA. The UFC has announced that Urijah Faber versus Michael McDonald will be the co-main event. The promotion is hopeful that a lightweight title fight between champion Anthony Pettis and No. 3 ranked T.J Grant will headline the event.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Asian MMA Update: ONE FC 10 main event scrapped, Fujii retirement match set, Evolve MMA and Greg Jackson partnership
- Dana White wants Anthony Pettis vs. TJ Grant to headline UFC on Fox 9
- Urijah Faber vs. Michael McDonald official for UFC on Fox 9 co-main event
- The Ultimate Fighter 18 episode 2 live discussion
- BJ Penn to coach TUF 19 opposite Frankie Edgar, will fight at featherweight in April