Unsurprisingly, Sacramento's first UFC card in 7 years will feature the undeniable face of the WEC and hometown favorite Urijah Faber. The former #1 featherweight and current #3 bantamweight will fight young sensation Michael McDonald in the co-main even of UFC on Fox 9 on December 14th. UFC Tonight first broke the news:
Faber (29-6) has had two bantamweight title shots, coming up short against Dominick Cruz and against Renan Barao for the interim belt. Since the Barao loss he has rattled off 3 straight wins, including submission wins over Scott Jorgensen and Ivan Menjivar plus the recent decision win over Yuri Alcantara.
Aged just 22, McDonald (16-2) is one of the brightest talents in all of MMA. He too fought against Barao for the interim BW title, putting in a competitive fight before losing by arm-triangle choke in the 4th round. In addition to his days as a vocalist for The Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan, the former K-1 kickboxer returned to fighting at UFC on FS1: Shogun vs. Sonnen, where he thrashed Brad Pickett on the feet and impressively submitted him with a triangle choke in the 2nd round.
One has to think that the winner of this fight is in line for another title shot, whether that be against Eddie Wineland, Barao, or Dominick Cruz. It's a pretty good co-main event for the UFC's big 2013 FOX finale and it should be a great fight.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- The Ultimate Fighter 18 episode 2 live discussion
- BJ Penn to coach TUF 19 opposite Frankie Edgar, will fight at featherweight in April
- UFC Fight Night 30 fight card: Bisping vs. Munoz
- Daily MMA 9/11: Mark Hunt 'Man of Steel' highlight, Gustafsson on Jones, Karate Hottie demo
- Dominick Cruz talks Renan Barao's title and not training with Floyd Mayweather Jr.