Frank Mir and Josh Barnett are two of the old guard in MMA's heavyweight division. Both former champions they have proven their ability to hang around with the top of the division for more than a decade. For Barnett it was a return 11 years in the making after he was stripped of his UFC heavyweight title for a failed drug test. For Frank Mir it was yet another chance to prove that he can still be a solid contender in the top five of the division. While the fight was competative early, Barnett's sustained offense lead to an impressive stoppage in the first round. Brent Brookhouse has the play-by-play for Bloody Elbow:
Frank Mir vs. Josh Barnett - Round 1 - They don't touch gloves. Barnett is throwing early and now Mir is returning some really big shots. Heavy shots by Mir are landing. Barnett is landing too but Mir was landing the cleaner punches. Barnett with an uppercut and a knee to the body. Now Barnett trying to maul against the cage. Uppercut by Barnett. Barnett really landing some good shots and now he lands a big elbow and another knee to the body. Barnett landing hard now. Mir just seems stuck. Knee to the head by Barnett and it's over. Josh Barnett wins by TKO (knee), round 1.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- UFC 164 results: Josh Barnett stops Frank Mir early
- UFC 164 results: Chad Mendes scores TKO victory over Clay Guida
- UFC 164 results: Ben Rothwell stops Brandon Vera in the third round
- UFC 164 results: Dustin Poirier scores decision win over Erik Koch
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 287: UFC 164 Results Review