A featherweight bout between Charles Oliveira and Estevan Payan has joined a stacked UFC 166 card. Featuring a title fight between UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and former champion Junior dos Santos, UFC 166: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos III takes place Oct. 19, 2013 from Houston's Honda Center.
Coming off of a three-round barnburner with former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar at UFC 162, Oliveira looks to have his back against the wall after dropping two straight. Having faced opponents with a combined total record of 171-42-3 (3), the UFC hasn't been shy about testing the young Brazilian against the elite of whichever division he belongs. Prior to facing Edgar and Cub Swanson at featherweight, Oliveira struggled against lightweight standouts Jim Miller and Donald Cerrone. Now back to the prelims, he's been booked in what appears to be the quintessential rebound fight against Payan.
Payan finds himself in the unenvious position of losing his UFC debut only to rebound against an arguably tougher opponent. While never really looking outclassed by Jeremy Stephens in their bout at UFC 160 in May, Payan hasn't been given any favors in his latest booking. While Payan initially maintained a relatively high work rate against Stephens in round one, his cardio looked to betray him in the later stanzas. Prior to his loss to Stephens, Payan had won seven of eight fights with one no contest.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Vitor Belfort says TRT makes it fair against his opponent
- WSOF 4: Brandon Hempleman fights for fame & glory
- UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Bader fight card
- Book Review: The Sports Gene by David Epstein, and the Fascinating Science behind Athletic Performance
- Daily MMA 8/8: Machida & reporter drink urine, revealing ring girl, Roach says Mayweather 'a bit washed up'