Coming to the UFC has been anything but a dream come true for former K-1 kickboxing and Strikeforce HW champ Alistair Overeem. First he failed a surprise urine test and lost his UFC 146 title shot against then-champ Junior dos Santos. Then he lost to Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva.
"Yes absolutely (this is a fresh start)," Overeem said. "I believe that both Browne and myself are top ranked fighters and the winner of this fight will be one step closer in getting a title shot, so in that sense I know this fight can put me right on track as I still have one goal in life and that's becoming the UFC heavyweight champion.
"I know there are more fighters going after that number one spot but with the nature of the sport anything can happen. So my main focus is my next fight and afterwards we will see who or when I will be fighting next."
What do you think? Is Reem destined to be the only fighter to ever wear both the UFC and K-1 belts?
More from Bloody Elbow:
- After 2012 death of UFC backed SOPA, Obama administration still looking to make online streaming a felony
- How's Taste My Tweet Tweet? Don't talk about Jon Jones' soul, broken hands, and car thieves
- Journo to Journo: Kid Nate on the politics of legalizing MMA in NY
- North American Catch Wrestling Association to hold first grappling tourney
- UFC 166 fight card: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos 3