After being plagued with injuries, UFC 163 went down at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In the main event, Jose Aldo looked to once against successfully defend his Featherweight title against Chan Sung Jung. As expected, Aldo retained his title with a 4th round TKO. The co-main event held more surprises as Phil Davis took an unexpected and controversial unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida.
After the event, UFC president Dana White awarded the fight night bonuses:
Each bonus marked a big victory for the recipient. Anthony Perosh was supposed to lose to Vinny Magalhaes, but instead dropped him with a well-timed straight right and finished the fight in only 14 seconds to set the record for 3rd fastest KO in Light Heavyweight history. The UFC loves pushing TUF veterans like Neil Magny, but Welterweight Sergio Moraes schooled him on the ground to pick up the first round submission victory. Iliarde Santos was supposed to be an "easy win" for top-5 flyweight Ian McCall, but rose to the occasion and put up a real fight in his unanimous decision loss.
In the main event, Jose Aldo defended the Featherweight title with a 4th round TKO victory over Chan Sung Jung.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- UFC president Dana White says Lyoto Machida won all three rounds against Phil Davis
- UFC 163 results: Phil Davis wins controversial decision over Lyoto Machida
- UFC 163: Aldo vs. Jung post-fight news, results, and analysis
- UFC 163 post-fight press conference video and coverage
- UFC 163 results: Cezar Ferreira destroys Thiago Santos