No sooner had he choked out Mauricio Rua at UFC Fight Night 26 than Chael Sonnen was calling out Wanderlei Silva. Silva appears to be enthusiastic about the bout, so enthusiastic in fact that he's wanting a % of the PPV buys. Dana White says that ain't happening and now Sonnen seems to have given up on the bout.
Per MMA Junkie who spoke to Sonnen this weekend"
"But as it stands right now, there's no opponent.
"I know (Antonio Rogerio) 'Lil Nog' (Nogueira) is going to fight with 'Shogun,' so he's off the table, and the real side of it, too, is that I just got done," he said. "I just got out of the ring exactly one week ago, so I started back for practice today. It was my first time breaking a sweat, and from here on, I'm back at it.
"But I don't have any opponent. I'd really like to be part of the 20th anniversary show. I'm really looking to be part of the St-Pierre (vs.) Hendricks card."
Sonnen could just be playing the role of company man and blowing off the fight to assist the UFC in their negotiations with Silva or he could truly have given up on the bout. Time will tell.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Update: Details revealed from Millers court appearance
- Asian MMA: Eddie Ng vs. Peter Davis among 3 fights added to ONE FC 11
- UFC Fight Night 27: Court McGee vs. Robert Whittaker Dissection
- UFC Fight Night 27: Condit vs. Kampmann betting lines
- Daily MMA 8/26: Chandler vs. Alvarez 2 promo by MachineMen, Episode 17 of 'The MMA Beat'