I don't think it will come as a shock to any of you that the SB Nation middleweight rankings look a little different today than they did a couple of weeks ago. Chris Weidman took the UFC middleweight title from Anderson Silva in the main event of UFC 162, and Mark Munoz picked up a big win over Tim Boetsch on the main card of that event. This has bumped both of them up in the rankings, while the fighters that came up short have fallen a bit. Without further ado, here are the rankings.
As usual, our panel consists of two members from each of the three SB Nation MMA sites - Ariel Helwani and Dave Doyle from MMA Fighting; Thomas Myers and Brian Hemminger from MMA Mania; and finally, Dallas Winston and yours truly from Bloody Elbow.
(Scoring: Fighters are given 10 points for a first-place vote, nine points for a second, etc., down to one point for 10th place. The results are then tallied up and presented here. Official SB Nation rankings policy: Fighters under commission suspension are ineligible to be ranked during the duration of their suspension or if they have licensing issues. At present, this does not affect anyone who would generally be considered a Top 10 MW fighter).
Updated with the chart!
2. Anderson Silva (33-5, 55 points): Five of the voters had Silva at 2, one still felt he deserved the top spot.
3. Vitor Belfort (23-10, 48 points): The Phenom unanimously holds the three spot, and is pretty much stuck there for a while.
4. Yushin Okami (29-7, 40 points): Okami continues to hold down the four spot despite all of the recent changes in the division.
5. Michael Bisping (24-5, 35 points): As with Okami, the panelists chose to leave him right where he was before.
6. Mark Munoz (13-3, 27 points): Munoz moved up three spots in the rankings with his win over Boetsch, and could move up another spot in his next bout.
7. Ronaldo Souza (18-3, 1 NC, 21 points): He'll face his first tough challenge in the UFC in about two months.
8. Constantinos Philippou (12-2, 1 NC, 20 points): He's still looking for a fight, and it could very well come against someone on this list.
9. Luke Rockhold (11-2, 17 points): Like Philippou below, it'll be interesting to see who he ends up fighting.
10. Tim Boetsch (15-7, 6 points): The loss to Munoz was huge, and it's going to be tough for him to climb back up the ladder.
Upcoming matchups for ranked fighters
Chris Weidman (1) vs. Anderson Silva (2),
Yushin Okami (4) vs. Jacare Souza (7), UFC on FX 1 3, September 4th
Michael Bisping (5) vs. Mark Munoz (6), UFC in Manchester, October 26th