(Pictured: Our Bovine Public (right) complains to Kim Winslow about Maximo Blanco not getting a point deduction for fence grabbing)
What's up, bitches!? Another event is in the books and boy was that a fun one. We have a bunch of stuff to get through but allow me to offer some thoughts on Week 9 of the 5th BECW season first:
- Those were some fun semi-final matchups. Bob Sapp vs. Bjorn was as close as it gets (a Faber SUB-2 or SUB-3 would've won it for Bjorn) and Bloody Elbe saw their early hot bout lead slowly but surely eaten up by the non-grappling Pickers who posted the highest score of the night for the second-straight week.
- While GreyedOut should be severely mocked for failing to turn in a complete set of picks in a semi-final matchup, it bears noting that he would've had to post a top 4 individual score for Bloody Elbe to win. In other words, the better team won the matchup. In even other words than that, suck it PFP.
- Bob Sapp is in the final with a losing record. The Beard pointed out via e-mail that we are 4-0 against all teams not led by PFP or Sugel. The odds are heavily stacked in favour of lankreally's team but it should be an exciting matchup nonetheless.
- Full credit to Leonard Garcia's Picking Accuracy who after a poor regular season have turned in two 2nd-ranked overall finishes in the Bland Prix. Where others may give up and phone it in, they are still winging wild picks with reckless abandon.
- Last night's crowd may be the best Vegas crowd I've ever seen/heard. They were up for the fights, well-behaved and appreciative of the fighters.
SIGNUP INFO FOR RETURNING PLAYERS
Please read this carefully: ALL returning players - including mid-season replacements - must fill in THIS FORM to sign up for season 6. The form will close on Thursday at circa 10am ET but for the love of Gilbert Melendez, please fill it out as soon as possible.
Oh, and those of you who didn't have the reading comprehension to realise that the last signup form was for new players only (looking at you JDH, OBP, Andy Anderson, and others), you also have to fill in the above form.
There are a number of additional questions in the form I'd like you to answer concerning potential rule changes and the future of the BECW. Feel free to skip them but I hope as many of you as possible make your opinion known.
SIGNUP INFO FOR NEW PLAYERS
The following new (and pre-S5) players have registered their interest:
|Joe Rogans's Smoking Bong|
|king of the dogs|
If you're still interested (and have made picks for the last two events and next week's event), please leave a comment in this post to complete your registration.
If you only picked yesterday's event and next week's, leave a comment anyway. We cannot guarantee your spot as we have to hit an exact number of players but we'll do our best.
The draft will take place at 3PM ET a week from now. It will work like this season's draft; captains will make their picks in the comment section of a fanpost while I keep track of everything in a spreadsheet. Cheat sheets will go out on Thursday.
Here is the list of captains as it looks right now:
While lanky6 is a maybe. There's still one spot left and it needs to be decided by the time the signups close. Please remember that you must be present at the draft to be a captain. Estimated time is approx. 2 hours + another hour in case lanky signs up.
Captains, pick your rivals! If lanky6 does sign up, he and kreally will automatically be in the same division. No way we're going to miss out on that clusterfuck.
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ... BECW5 GP SEMI-FINAL RESULTS
Individual Scores, TUF 17 Finale
|3||#25 Ben Bauman||81|
|4||#92 Andy Anderson||80|
|6||#13 Zachary Kater||79|
|9||(C) Violent Newt||78|
|18||#15 Horselover Fat||73|
Two late-round picks stole the show as Careful-Icarus nailed four fights perfectly and while picking 10 out of 12 winners correctly. Had he nailed the hot bout, he would've finished tied-1st on MMA PG where he would've shared the limelight with future BECW player Snax. DreamingOfFighting took 2nd with four perfect picks (incl. the hot bout) and 8 winners out of 12.
Individual Scores, Overall
|4||#25 Ben Bauman||568||+8|
|7||#53 Tim Bernier||555||-|
|8||(C) Josh Hall||552||-5|
|12||#120 Body Triangle||543||-1|
|19||#23 Patrick Wyman||530||+6|
sgiblin comfortably holds on to first place while swiftman makes a big push to take 2nd place as captains POW and Hall drop out of the top 5. For complete individual scores, check the live spreadsheet or this separate spreadsheet.
|8||(C) Josh Hall||552||-5|
|32||(C) Violent Newt||515||+21|
|41||(C) Andy Davis||505||-4|
|43||(C) Sugel Mendoza||504||+15|
|56||(C) Paulo Filho's Psychiatrist||495||+14|
|87||(C) Our Bovine Public||471||-15|
Newt's great event sees him rise to 3rd among the captains but POW and Hall are still (likely) out of reach. Meanwhile, forkboy is no longer the worst performing captain as gxc plummets.
The playoff bracket
Bland Prix Standings
CHRISTMAS TREE TABLES
Here are the tables showing yesterday's matchups.
And here are the seasonal christmas tree tables showing next week's matchups.
Grand Prix and 3rd Place Matchups
5th Place & 7th Place Matchups
Bland Prix Matchups