Mark D. Smith-USA TODAY Sports
Last week Dana White spoke very optimistically about the UFC's intention to sign top Heavyweight Josh Barnett. However, on Wednesday Barnett's manager revealed that negotiations haven't gone as well as expected.
In the weeks following the final Strikeforce event, one of the biggest stories has been whether or not Heavyweight Josh Barnett would sign with the UFC. Although Dana White seemed optimistic leading into UFC 156, it looks like negotiations have taken a turn for the worse.
Barnett's manager Leland LeBarre told MMA Fighting:
According to Barnett's manager Leland LaBarre, Barnett has officially declined the promotion's latest contract offer.
"We agreed on guaranteed compensation," LaBarre said. "In fact, we never even countered. We accepted their original offer.
"However, there are some outlying issues -- one in particular -- that as of this point we were unable to agree on."
LaBarre said he didn't feel it was appropriate at this time to discuss which issue both sides couldn't come to terms on.
"We want to find the best deal for Josh and his final MMA home," LaBarre said.
Barnett last fought at Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine where he picked up a quick submission of Nandor Guelmino, who did sign with the UFC. For now, LaBarre does not know where Barnett will get his next fight.