Ulysses Gomez was all lined up to fight for the first time since his UFC release earlier this year. Gomez was scheduled to face Cage Warriors flyweight champion Neil Seery in tomorrow's main event, but that fight has been scrapped as of today. Gomez collapsed while cutting weight and subsequently was hospitalized. According to Cage Warriors PR director Paul Dollery, the fight is now off:
Ulysses Gomez v Neil Seery is off. Gomez collapsed while cutting weight; was taken to hospital. He's OK now but we've decided to pull fight.— Paul Dollery (@PaulDollery) December 6, 2013
After the fight was scrapped Gomez and Seery had a brief exchange on Twitter:
Weight cutting has been a hot button issue over the past several months, with two men's bantamweights missing weight on TUF 18 as well as the death of Brazilian Shooto fighter Leandro Souza. It's worth noting that Gomez has toggled regularly between flyweight and bantamweight throughout his career.
With the main event off the card, former UFC lightweight Curt Warburton and Wesley Murch replaced them as top billing and both made the 160 lbs catchweight.
- UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs Bigfoot - Live results and play-by-play for main card
- UFC Fight Night 33: Hunt vs. Bigfoot fight card primer - Main card
- Nikita Krylov vs. Walt Harris added to UFC on Fox 10
- Boxing Rigondeaux vs Agbeko live stream online of fight weigh-ins today at Bloody Elbow
- UFC Fight Night 33: Mark Hunt vs. Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva Dissection