There was only one fighter at today's UFC 168 weigh-ins who missed weight and he was so far off that he was just about a full weight class over the limit. Featherweight Diego Brandao was scheduled to fight Dustin Poirier in the opening bout of the UFC 168 PPV main card, but the Brazilian tipped the scales at a shocking 153 lbs (while Poirier came in at 146). Poirier was none too pleased with Brandao and yelled at him during the stare-down (as you can see in the photo above) before they went off the stage.
Believe it or not, Brandao actually tried to shave off a couple of pounds in the allotted hour and plummeted to 151.5. Brandao was fined 25% of his purse, of which half goes to Poirier while the other half is handed over to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. The fight is still on for tomorrow, and presumably Brandao is ineligible to win any post-fight bonuses (Fight of the Night, Knockout of the Night, Submission of the Night).
This is the first instance of Brandao failing to make weight, but did he ever make it a memorable one. I wouldn't have faulted Poirier one bit for refusing to take the fight with such a large discrepancy. MMA Junkie's John Morgan tweeted out what Poirier reportedly said during the weigh-in pose:
Just spoke with a UFC official who said @DustinPoirier's heated outburst included, "I'm going to f---ing break you, and you know it!"— John Morgan (@MMAjunkieJohn) December 28, 2013
We should be in for one heated PPV opener tomorrow night in Las Vegas.
- K-1 MAX Grand Prix Quarterfinals live stream and results this Saturday morning
- UFC 168: Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate preview and the prognostication
- Watch K-1 MAX Grand Prix Quarterfinals live stream this Saturday morning
- Daily MMA 12/27: UFC 168 interviews (Weidman, Silva, Barnett, Browne), Dana White's media scrum, more
- UFC 168: Ronda Rousey has the drive of all great athletes but lacks appropriate brand management