Presently, Miesha Tate is a high as a +590 underdog against Ronda Rousey, who already holds a 1st round armbar win over her back in Strikeforce. Rousey can fetch -800 in the betting lines as we approach fight day, and she's expected to dominate again. But in this crazy year of upsets and close shaves, a Tate win would be a stunning result. Dana White was interviewed on Fox Sports Live last night and was asked where he would rank Tate over Rousey in a list of famous UFC upsets: (Quotes via Damon Martin of Foxsports.com)
"It's No. 2 for sure," White said where Tate beating Rousey would fit in the all time UFC upset list.
Unlike Serra, who earned his title shot by winning The Ultimate Fighter season 4 tournament, Tate is coming off of a loss to Cat Zingano and is only in this title fight because of Zingano's knee injury. It would certainly be a shock to the system, and I wouldn't have too much issue with that ranking. I would only have Serra/GSP, Edgar/Penn I, and Couture/Sylvia above a Tate win over Rousey as far as UFC history is concerned. If we expanded beyond just the UFC and did MMA as a whole? Seth Petruzelli over Kimbo Slice bar none.
What do you think of Dana White's comment? Where would you historically rank a Tate over Rousey outcome in a list of UFC upsets?
- UFC 168: Silva vs. Weidman - The Cut List
- Talk of a Brock Lesnar return to the UFC continues amid Dana White's non-denial of rumors
- Tete-A-Tete: UFC 168 in-depth preview and predictions with Kid Nate and Dallas
- Dana White on Uriah Hall, 'I was purposely sticking it to him, no doubt about it'
- UFC 168: Josh Barnett discusses WADA, ref stoppages, fan perception & more