Over the weekend, multiple reports arose regarding the status of two UFC fighters - heavyweight Pat Barry and Nam Phan. As usual in the MMA world, the "news" quickly spread to twitter and messageboards, and many fans believed that both men had been released from the organization on the heels of recent losses. Well, their fans can rest easy - Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting has confirmed they are both still on the UFC roster:
Brian Butler-Au, Barry's manager, said UFC matchmaker Joe Silva told him Sunday morning that Barry was not cut, while Phan, who manages himself, said UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby recently told him the same.
Barry (8-7) has lost two bouts in a row and three out of four overall. He was most recently knocked out by Soa Palelei at UFC Fight Night 33 earlier this month. The popular fighter is 5-7 in the UFC overall. Phan (18-12) is 2-5 in the UFC overall, most recently dropping his bantamweight debut to Takeya Mizugaki on the same card.
- Technique Recap: The Wrestling of Makovsky and Jorgensen at UFC on Fox 9, Part I
- UFC 168: Ronda Rousey's corner 'will bet 20 grand on me'
- Anderson Silva: UFC 162 loss to Chris Weidman just a bad day at work
- Rebel FC 1 Results and Video: Rob Lisita submits 'Lion' Inoue, Taiyo Nakahara KOs Marcos Vinicius
- Daily MMA 12/22: UFC 168 pre-fight interviews, full fights, Weidman vs. Silva, Rousey vs. Tate, more