Big news for the top end of the welterweight division. After Matt Brown had to bow out of his planned UFC on Fox 9 bout against Carlos Condit the UFC wanted to use Condit to lure Nick Diaz back into the octagon at UFC 171. The lure didn't take, but it sparked a string of tweets from Tyron Woodley and now it appears that he has been given the fight.
We guess the text messages paid off! It's official, as announced on Beyond the Octagon, Carlos Condit will face Tyron Woodley at UFC 171— UFC United Kingdom (@UFC_UK) December 17, 2013
It's a bit of step down for Condit, the division's no. 2 fighter as Woodley is currenty unranked, unlike Brown who is sitting at no. 8. However, Woodley's only UFC loss is to Jake Shields and his bounce back KO over Josh Koscheck has put him right back in contention at the top of the division. A win here and he'd likely skyrocket up the standings. Jake Ellenberger was also looking for the fight, but otherwise the top ten of the division is pretty much booked. What do you think should they have gone with Ellenberger, or is Woodley the more interesting fight right now?
UFC 171 takes place on March 15th in Dallas Texas. Here's the current card:
Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler (welterweight title fight)
Carlos Condit vs. Tyron Woodley
Tor Troeng vs. Bubba McDaniel
Thiago Silva vs. Ovince St. Preux
Jake Shields vs. Hector Lombard
Diego Sanchez vs. Myles Jury
Sean Spencer vs. Alex Garcia
- Glory Superfight Series Tokyo live stream, preview, live streaming results online December 21
- Daily MMA 12/17: Anthony Kiedis on MMA, full Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman fight video
- Trainer says Georges St-Pierre had reservations before UFC 154 bout with Carlos Condit
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 310: GSP Reaction, MMA Discussion
- UFC 172: Is Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira Baltimore bound, or not?