Last Friday UFC president Dana White announced that UFC Light Heavyweight champ Jon Jones' next title defense would be bumped back from UFC 171 to UFC 172. Jon Jones told the press that the event would be held in Baltimore, Maryland.
Not so fast, let's hear from the Baltimore Business Journal:
Frank Remesch, general manager of the Baltimore Arena, says no deal for the mixed-martial arts event is in place. Within the last month, Remesch said he "had a vague conversation" with UFC about bringing an event to Baltimore, but specific dates were not mentioned.
"It's a great event that I'd love to have here, but it's not on the books," Remesch said on Monday.
While Jones' comments have caught fire, the fighter did acknowledge that no contract had been signed for the event to come to Baltimore.
Dave Sholler, a spokesman for UFC, said Monday the company has no official plans at this time to come to Baltimore.
Jones is expected to defend his belt against Glover Teixeira somewhere on Earth in April, 2014.
- Dana White on how long Georges St. Pierre will be out: 'As long as it takes for him to clear out that zoo'
- Dana White explains when and why the UFC uses interim titles
- Weidman's trainer on Silva rematch: 'we want to put a stamp on what Chris did the first time'
- Glory 13 Tokyo preview, live streaming results, discussion, live fight online coverage December 21
- UFC vet Riki Fukuda to headline Road FC's first monthly league event on January