Marcos Maidana def. Adrien Broner by unanimous decision 117-109, 115-109, 115-110
Marcos Maidana was mean to be a test for Adrien Broner. And Broner failed. The betting underdog, Maidana took the fight to the formerly undefeated Broner, taking home a lopsided unanimous decision win. Maidana was the heavy puncher all night, dropping Broner twice. With his Floyd Mayweather inspired Philly Shell defense, Broner tried to avoid the power shots, and had some success in the early middle rounds, but he could not consistently keep the rampaging Maidana away.
The boxing aspect only tells half of the story of this fight though. The rest is in the theatrics. At one point, Broner was on Maidana's back and, for lack of any better term, humped Maidana in a typical display of Broner showmanship. Late in the fight, Maidana found himself in the same physical position and returned the favor to the delight of the highly pro-Maidana, anti-Broner crowd. Broner also took a headbutt from Maidana in the 8th, flopping to the mat in mock pain in an attempt to get the fight called off. It did not work. Finally, a significantly late punch in the 11th almost stole the fight for Broner, but a visibily hurt Maidana gutted through the last round and took the win.
Highlights of this wild fight of the year candidate are available right here at Bloody Elbow courtesy of ESPN.
Check out these Broner vs. Maidana highlights now, and be sure to join us once again in 2014 for all your boxing coverage.
- Broner vs Maidana results and gifs: Maidana defeats Broner in great, wild fight
- Dana White happy with CSAC and referees John McCarthy and Herb Dean following UFC on Fox 9
- UFC on Fox 9 results: Barboza vs. Castillo once again highlights the need for more 10-8 rounds
- Dana White: You either want to fight, or you don't want to fight. There's guys chomping at the bit
- UFC on Fox 9: Johnson vs. Benavidez results: Winners and losers