Despite recent reports that he wouldn't need surgery, UFC Heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez went under the knife today. UFC Tonight's Ariel Helwani reported that he had torn his labrum but at the time it was believed he would not require surgery.
Velaquez has previously undergone surgery for a torn rotator cuff after he took the title from Brock Lesnar at UFC 121. He lost his first fight back against Junior dos Santos in less than two minutes at UFC on Fox 1 in November 2011.
Here's his instagram and tweet from the hospital:
My shoulder surgery yesterday went well. Can't wait to be back at it! http://t.co/sugfDxh4aB— Cain Velasquez (@cainmma) December 11, 2013
Velasquez is expected to defend the title against Fabricio Werdum next year, possibly in the UFC's first event in Mexico. His last bout was a brutal unanimous decision win over Junior dos Santos in their third match at UFC 166 in October. Velasquez regained his title by beating dos Santos last December.
- Bloody Elbow Roundtable: What is the deal with the Ben Askren situation?
- Technique Recap: Jessamyn Duke, Nate Diaz, Shogun Rua
- Mike Pyle vs. T.J. Waldburger added to UFC 170
- Paul Walker posthumously awarded BJJ black belt
- Duane Ludwig predicts a clean sweep for four Team Alpha Male fighters at UFC on Fox 9